TOLL FREE 1-866-326-3539
GROUND LEVEL INSTALLATION
PLEASE READ THOROUGHLY BEFORE BEGINNING YOUR PROJECT.
Eco-Flex products are not warranted against improper or faulty installation.
Installation rubber flooring instructions for the following Eco-flex products: Interlocking I-Mat, Interlocking Keystone, 2′ x 2′, 2′ x 3′ and 4′ x 5′ Overlap Link Sidewalk Tiles
- SAFETY GLASSES
- TAPE MEASURE
- CHALK LINE
- CHALK ‘OLFA’
- UTILITY KNIFE and EXTRA BLADES
- 4′ Length of 2″ x 4″ MIN. 4′ STRAIGHT-EDGE for cuts
- PLATE TAMPERS
- 2 LENGTHS OF PIPE (For Screeding)
- WHEEL BARROW
- Remove any old pavement and/or existing soil. *Excavate to clay depth or proper depth depending on traffic. Spread and compact (using mechanical tamper) of 3/4″ road crush evenly over the entire area. The elevation of the compacted base is determined on which thickness of product being installed – ideally 3-4″.
- Once the base is completed, edge restraints should be installed to prevent any lateral movement of the tiles. Wooden, plastic or just inserting the tiles level with the grass, may be used as an edge restraint. Edge restraints should be installed to sit flush with or just below the finished height of the tile.
- With the edge restraints installed, compaction sand can be spread evenly over the compacted base. Screeding is done to ensure an even bedding surface is established. Two lengths of pipe ( ½” O.D.) are placed parallel to one another, directly on the crushed rock. A 2″ x 4″ board is then pulled across the pipe, ensuring that the sand is at a uniform height. (Avoid walking on screeded surface). This step can be skipped if the road crush is even.
- Ensure the Eco-Flex product is kept cool to average temperature prior to and during installation. Commence laying tiles in the pattern you wish to create. Start installation of tile at the edge or corner whenever possible. This will minimize cuts.
- Using masonry string will allow for your pattern to run true throughout the project. Any cuts should be done as needed to keep your pattern consistent.
- Once tiles are all in place, sweep the entire surface to prepare for mechanical tamping.
- Begin tamping the entire surface, tamping in both directions until the surface is bedded down uniformly.
- Interlocking I-Mat or Keystone: It is unnecessary to use jointing sand when using the larger mat products. The use of super glue/accelerator or adhesive can be used to bond the tiles together to ensure the tile is tight throughout the install when cuts need to be made and small pieces are produced. The super glue is beaded on one tiles’ edge and smeared onto the other tile and a light mist of the accelerator is sprayed on. The tiles need to be held together for 10 seconds for a tight bond – Warning: this is quick setting glue and will dry white.
- 2′ x 2′, 2′ x 3′ or 4′ x 5′ Overlap Link Sidewalks: Highly recommended to remove release agent from overlap before proceeding with glue application. See instructions below. Apply dabs of Gorilla Glue Gel along the under-lap edge as instructed on the bottle and slightly smear to the vertical edge prior to placing a following tiles’ overlap edge on top. Apply pressure to the seam and hold for approximately 10 seconds. Seam will be fully bonded in 24 hours. Dependent on tile thickness of use, 3/4″ or 1 3/4″ standard deck screws are to be counter-sunk vertically into the overlap edge every 12″. This will catch the under-lap edge and help the glue set while mitigating expansion and contraction. Screws sink directly into rubber and will not be visible or a surface hazard.
Warning: Super glue is quick setting glue. It is recommended to still allow a 24 hr period with no precipitation and be careful with application to reduce spread to the surface of the tiles.
Additional Tips:The tiles can be coated with a silicone release agent when new; warm water wash, pressure wash, or simply allowing 3-5 days in the sun will allow for this releaser to dissipate from the surface of the tiles. To instantly remove releaser from overlap prior to gluing, it is recommended to flash torch or wipe quickly with acetone on rag.
Use an orbital jigsaw to cut the tiles if required and an exacto knife to scrap extra visible glue from seams.
Leave 1/4″ to 1/2″ space from edges of containment to allow for expansion room.
Material is recycled and slight variance in size is to be expected. Rotating tiles side to side to find best fit can help alleviate variance issues.
*Before you dig, please call Hydro, Telephone, Gas and Cable Companies to ensure your safety.
“QUICK CLIP INSTALLATION VIDEO”