INSTALLATION GUIDE - In Ground Application
PLEASE READ THOROUGHLY BEFORE BEGINNING YOUR PROJECT.
PRODUCT MUST BE INSTALLED IN COOLER TEMPERATURES.
Eco-Flex products are not warranted against improper or faulty installation.
Installation instructions for the use of the following Eco-flex products: Interlocking I-Mat, Interlocking Keystone, Z-Brick, Churchill brick, 2' x 3' and 4' x 5' Overlap Link Sidewalk Tiles
- SAFETY GLASSES
- TAPE MEASURE
- CHALK LINE
- CHALK 'OLFA'
- UTILITY KNIFE and EXTRA BLADES
- 4' Length of 2" x 4" MIN. 4' STRAIGHT-EDGE for cuts
- PLATE TAMPERS
- 2 LENGTHS OF PIPE (For Screeding)
- WHEEL BARROW
- Remove any old pavement and/or existing soil. *Excavate to clay depth or proper depth depending on traffic. Spread and compact (using mechanical tamper) of 3/4" road crush evenly over the entire area. The elevation of the compacted base is determined on which thickness of product being installed - ideally 3-4".
- Once the base is completed, edge restraints should be installed to prevent any lateral movement of the tiles. Wooden, plastic or just inserting the tiles level with the grass, may be used as an edge restraint. Edge restraints should be installed to sit flush with or just below the finished height of the tile.
- With the edge restraints installed, 1 to 1 ½" of compaction sand is spread evenly over the compacted base. Screeding must be done to ensure an even bedding surface is established. Two lengths of pipe (1" to ½" O.D.) are placed parallel to one another, directly on the crushed rock. A 2" x 4" board is then pulled across the pipe, ensuring that the sand is at a uniform height. (Avoid walking on screeded surface).
- Ensure the Eco-Flex product is kept cool prior to and during installation. Commence laying tiles in the pattern you wish to create. Start installation of tile at the edge or corner whenever possible. This will minimize cuts.
- Using masonry string will allow for your pattern to run true throughout the project. Any cuts should be done as needed to keep your pattern consistent.
- Once tiles are all in place, sweep the entire surface to prepare for mechanical tamping.
- Begin tamping the entire surface, tamping in both directions until the surface is bedded down uniformly.
- Churchill Brick - The use of jointing sand may be used to fill the joints on these styles of bricks. If using jointing sand, simply broadcast sand over the entire surface and begin sweeping until all joints are filled. Leaving the excess sand on the surface, tamp the entire surface again, and sweep sand into joints until they are completely filled.
- Interlocking I-Mat or Keystone- It is unnecessary to use jointing sand when using the larger mat products. The use of super glue/accelerator or adhesive can be used to bond the tiles together to ensure the tile is tight throughout the install when cuts need to be made and small pieces are produced. The super glue is beaded on one tiles' edge and smeared onto the other tile and a light mist of the accelerator is sprayed on. The tiles need to be held together for 10 seconds for a tight bond - Warning: this is quick setting glue and will dry white. Use of the adhesive will require a longer cure time (24 hours) but will dry clear.
- 2' x 3' or 4' x 5' Overlap Link Sidewalks - Apply a 1/8" bead of adhesive glue along the under-lap edge and place a following tiles' overlap edge on top. 1 3/4" standard deck screws are to be counter-sunk vertically into the overlap edge every 12". This will catch the under-lap edge and help the glue set while mitigating expansion and contraction. Screws sink directly into rubber and will not visible or a surface hazard.
- 2' x 2' Overlap Link Sidewalks - Apply a 1/8" bead of super glue along the under-lap edge and lightly mist accelerator over glue. Place a following tiles' overlap edge on top and act quickly as this bonds within 10 seconds. 3/4" standard deck screws or nails are to be counter-sunk vertically into the overlap edge every 8". This will catch the under-lap edge and help the glue set while mitigating expansion and contraction. Screws sink directly into rubber and will not visible or a surface hazard. Super Glue and accelerator combo dry white so it is best to ensure there is no residue on the tile surface.
The tiles are coated with a silicone releaser when new; flash torching is recommended when gluing overlap seams to ensure a tight bond. Warm water wash, pressure wash, or simply allowing 3-5 days in the sun will allow for this releaser to dissipate on tile surfacing.
Use an orbital jigsaw to cut the tiles if required and an exacto knife to scrap extra visible glue from seams.
Due to the nature of recycled materials, tire rubber can vary from tile to tile. This variance can result in each tile's natually unique color and size. Rotating tiles side to side will help locate the best fit and alleviate variances.
*Before you dig, please call Hydro, Telephone, Gas and Cable Companies to ensure your safety.